Thursday, April 12, 2007

Still longing for the days with my mother....ahhhhh

As I'm sitting here at my desk, attempting to prepare all of the details for the launch of the new mobile Voluntary Testing and Counselling (VCT) unit next weekend, the Pisces in me can't help but to day dream about the fabulously, devine time that I spent with my mother. A time when, for a few weeks, I was allowed to live the life of a regular American tourist, doing touristy things, eating great food, sleeping in late, having the ability to determine my schedule, not having to explain anything to anyone (about if my hair is real...natural...or store bought...chemically altered...am I bi-racial, etc, my nationality, my skin color, if I really chose to have my glasses look that way, why I dress the way I do, why I can't seem to get over the gag reflex everytime I eat pap or come close to mogodu, etc.), and most important of all SPENDING TIME WITH MY MOTHER.

So as I day dream, or rather "reflect" (my father's favorite word...ok...let me tell you a little story that is TOTALLY off the subject, but since I'm reminiscing, let's just go there. When I was a little girl, my family would often take short road trips to as far as Florida. My brother and I would often get out of control making tents in the back seat with blankets or fighting about who had too much space on the middle arm rest. In order to get us to be quite, my father would often tell us to reflect (on events of the past or on whatever else that would get us to shut up). So, at a very early age, I learned how to reflect, which brings us to the present moment.) As I reflect, these are some of the images that are conjured up....

Enjoy!


A Dung Beetle doing guess what...rolling elephant dung

Atop Table Mountain...taking pictures of other people climbing

Cape Point (Not really the most southern point of Africa)
10 points if you know where the real southern most point is

Just about the exact point where the "table cloth" forms over Table Mountain

My mother (somewhere) and the Kototsi Family

Tall times 2 in Botswana

Part of Victoria Falls in Black and White
(my attempt at being creative)

I guess this speaks for itself, right?

No comments: