Monday, March 17, 2008

Maybe it's just me....

but I really enjoy waking up in the mornings to go to work! I wake up at 6:00 am to walk a few miles in the rain, heat, and snow (I wish), in rush hour traffic to get to work every morning and sometimes on Saturdays because I love what I'm doing and I really enjoy the people with whom I work. I know, I know, I've only been working/volunteering with SOS Children's Village for a short time, but just being here makes me feel fulfilled...like I'm actually contributing to something...like I am a part of something big and worthwhile. I'm even planning to start waking up even earlier (5:30am) on Saturdays to start a walking club with the village mothers.

One of the best parts of my day is talking with my coworkers about things that are going on in the village, and in their lives. In such a short period of time, I have developed a really nice relationship with everyone in my office and look forward to seeing them first thing in the morning. The highlight of my day, however, takes place soon after the children arrive home from school, like just now when some of the kids (I call them my "regulars") stop into my office to check up on me. I get to probe them about homework and their social lives, and best of all, get to see their smiling faces.

I know, I know (again), you might be thinking that I'm making this all up, but I'm really not. It has taken me over a year of my Peace Corps service to reach a point where I am so happy with the things I'm doing (in my work life). The Peace Corps always says that this is the "toughest job you'll ever love", and I finally agree. I had to go through the "tough" part to finally find the part that I love.

No comments: