Friday, August 19, 2011

I am a product of "The Third Goal"

Hello Dear Reader,

If you've been researching the Peace Corps, you probably know of or at least have heard a little something about the organization's 3 goals:

1) Do good in the hood (I know JFK didn't put it like that);

2) Represent the diversity that is America in "host countries" (no, we're not all like the people you see on "Jerry Springer" or "Keeping up with the Kardashians"); and

3) Bringing the world to America (but that happens already...cue the song "We are the world")...but seriously, (Returned) Peace Corps Volunteers are uniquely positioned to bring their individual experiences home to big city/small town America (no, the world isn't full of terrorists).

Goal #1 (check...and beyond...or so I'd like to think): The importance of/obligation to live a life of service was instilled in me from day 1 outside of the womb (thanks mom and dad). I'd like to think that my Peace Corps service merely added to my volunteer resume and now, over three years post service, I am continuing to building on that amazing foundation.

Goal #2 (ongoing): The awesome thing about my service was that I was one of two African American PCVs in PC-South Africa at that time. Being in this unique position, I was not only able to show South Africans that not all American Black people are rap stars playing out a looped episode of "The Wire", but I was given the opportunity to demonstrate that to my fellow PCVs as well. Sure, this was frustrating at times- I was brought to tears by it, expressed my anger and frustration about it, and made some of the most amazing friends who will forever been in my life (both South African and American).

I say "ongoing", because I am fortunate enough to be able to continue representing who I am...as an American...out in the world. I have grown tremendously from my experiences, and through these experiences, I've become both more patriotic and more broad-minded than ever. I've learned to drop the labels we as Americans cling to so tightly to define ourselves. I.Am.American.

Goal #3 (a lifetime): Better known amongst the PC set as "The Third Goal". The Third Goal- Bring the world to America (but this has taken place from our great nation's inception). Sometimes, however, we tend to forget that we all came from somewhere "out in the world". As it relates to PC, like I said, RPCVs are uniquely positioned to serve as America's constant reminder that the world is not always how it is depicted on CNN/BBC/Fox News/Al Jazeera. No, the world is not to be feared. Instead of confirming our fears of "it's us against them", PCVs are able to put a diverse face to the "Us" and help their fellow Americans see that the "Us" looks/feels/thinks/desires/hopes/dreams/loves/fears/hates/wants change just like "Them".

You see, I am the result of two RPCV's quest to achieve "The 3rd Goal". As I've mentioned before (I'm sure you're sick of hearing it by now), but in the 3rd grade during "International Day", my teacher invited two RPCVs (a couple) who served in PC- Morocco, to share their experiences with me and my classmates. Little did those (now) nameless, faceless RPCVs know, but, by sharing their experiences, they forever shaped mine. Every.single.thing that I did from that day on inspired me to want to see the world beyond the library books, tv programs, and newspapers. And now, it is through my little PC/RPCV blog, that I hope to pass that quiet light of inspiration that was handed to me over twenty years ago, to you.

Happy 50th Birthday Peace Corps!

With love,

Dani (RPCV South Africa 2006-2008)

No comments: