Monday, July 24, 2006

Staging....finalmente!

Hey everybody-

I've finally reached Philly after catching a 6:30 am flight! Yes, that meant that I had to get up (if I ever really went to sleep in the first place) at 3:00 am and be out of the house by 4:15 am to get to O'Hare. Just prior to leaving, my mom, dad, and dog took our last pictures and then lugged my overweight luggage to the car. I got to the airport and finally, it was time to say goodbye to the two most important people in my life...my parental units. Although I tried to keep a stiff upper lip throughout the entire process, it really hit me that I would be saying my final goodbyes for a while. I know, I know, I'm not dying or anything, it's just the Peace Corps. However, I was informed that during the two month Pre-Service Training, I would not have internet or phone service. I've never gone that long without a word from them. I know, however, that we will all pull through and be much stronger when it is all over and done with.

So now I'm in Philly, meeting new faces and finally meeting the people in my Yahoo group. I've sat through informational sessions and have signed my life away to Peace Corps for the next two years. I've now transitioned from an Invitee to a Peace Corps Trainee (PCT). In September, I will be sworn in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer. I'm still not clear as to what I'll be doing and where I'll be going, but I'll make sure to keep you posted.

I know this entry isn't the most spicy bit of gossip (Jay-Pee), but I'm dog tired and have to wake up at the crack of dawn to meet up for another informational session. Wish me luck! I'm not sure when I'll be on next....maybe I'll get a chance tomorrow, but if not...you'll hear from me in a couple of months.

Ya'll come back now, ya here?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm being strong! .....Oh who am I kidding! I've cried myself to sleep every night...wow! you're really there. I remember when you wrote that story in third grade about the peace corps and Ms. Draves snatched it from you and told you to, "why don't you write about something realistic, like being a nanny?" I miss you!! I'll see you in a few months - that's the goal.

Anonymous said...

I'm being strong! .....Oh who am I kidding! I've cried myself to sleep every night...wow! you're really there. I remember when you wrote that story in third grade about the peace corps and Ms. Draves snatched it from you and told you to, "why don't you write about something realistic, like being a nanny?" I miss you!! I'll see you in a few months - that's the goal.