Thursday, November 23, 2006

E is for Intelligence

Just now, I was sitting with LifeLine counselors in the training room at my office, waiting for a guest speaker to arrive so that we could watch a demonstration on how to use the Orasure HIV test kit. Some of the local mines have requested that our organization temporarily supply them with individuals trained in HIV voluntary testing and counseling (VCT). While waiting, we were instructed to go around the room, share one word on how you're feeling, and words that are associated with the letters in our name. When it came to me...well...it went all down hill.

My feeling: O sharp (aka. "I'm cool"...even though that's not a "LifeLine feeling"...I used it anyway).

D-Dimonate (Delicious...my Setswana speaking friends think I'm crazy for that one...because it refers to foods...or something perhaps a little naughty in the Batswana context)
A-Attentive
N- Naughty (In a South African context, that means precotious...Rodha supplied me with that one)
I-Inspiring
E- Intelligent...........(Yeah, I didn't really pass the 1st grade...I made nice nice with the lovely people at Emory so that they would give me my Master's degree. As soon as it came out of my mouth...I knew that I was wrong...the only thing to do was to laugh at myself! And boy, did I laugh! The funniest thing about it is that no one else got it...except Elayna...and she laughed at me too...so from now on, E is for Intelligence)
L- Laughable (for my many, many bloopers)
L-Lovable
E-Embarrassed!

No comments: