Monday, April 21, 2008

Agh! I've got so much on my mind!

Over the past couple of weeks, my mind has been racing and it's driving me crazy! Mostly, I've been forcing myself to start thinking about what I want to do after Peace Corps. For as much as I'd like to stay focused on the here and now, which has been drilled into my brain over the past year and some change out of necessity and circumstance, I feel compelled to start thinking about what I want to see myself doing post Peace Corps service. Another impetus has been the fact that, over the next couple of months, some of my closest fellow PCVs will be COSing early...Like in the June, July time frame! Batong, gomodimo!

Through my deep interest in reproductive health, women's health, HIV/AIDS prevention and care, public health, social justice, public health program management, and improving access to care, I'm strongly considering the option of heading off to medical school (not without first attending post-bacc studies). CRAZY, I know! So lately, I've been apply for various pre-med post-bacc programs. The thought of going back to school, and particularly going to medical school, is a daunting task. A task, however, that will hopefully take me to where I want to be professionally. I'll be sure to keep you posted as this train of thought develops. If I go back to school, this means that I may have to COS (Close of Service) early in order to start in the summer/fall. Eish!

In addition to applying for post-bacc programs, I've also started a job search. Two years of volunteer work has made me appreciate the paid life. So if you're reading this blog and want to hire a soon-to-be Returned Peace Corps Volunteer...Let's talk! Eish!

Extending service into another Peace Corps-health-related program is also an option. Peace Corps just reopened the Ethiopia and Rwanda programs. I've always wanted to go to Ethiopia, plus, as a Public Healther, my CV and amount of experience would receive a big boost if I had additional work experience in a post-conflict zone. Not forgetting the fact that I would be able to provide some assistance to a project in need of a Peace Corps Volunteer. Ya-rrrrrrrr (roll the "r")

Making other, more personal life choices have been semi-freaking (ok, TOTALLY) me out. Should I, shouldn't I and the implications of both! Agh!

On a more short term basis, I'm trying to plan what may be my final chance to vacation...a trip to Lesotho to go pony trekking. Ever since I learned of such a thing, I've wanted to go! Ke itumetse thata!!!! But ke batla go plan-a pele! Eish! Eish! Eish! I have to figure out what I'm going to cook tonight...cooking is my vice and daily torment!

Usually, writing things down (not necessarily in such a public forum) helps me to relieve some anxiety, but this, unfortunately has not provided me with the comfort that I hoped...plus I'm tired, hungry (didn't bring my scaf tin to work today), and I'm cold (beginning of winter), so I guess that's not helping either. Eish! Ya-rrrrrrrr, Sis!

Ok, well on a more positive note, I recently bought two pair of jeans (not the stretch ones either), and thanks to preparing (most) my meals and living the volunteer life (walking everywhere, carrying my heavy bags of groceries from one side of town to the other, walking very fast as not to be late for work, and exercising with the kids), I can now fit into a size 4 jeans! It's the small accomplishments, isn't it! I feel better already!

Plus, last night, Saziso and I went to a braai over one of his co-worker's houses. There was so much good food, great company, music, and a cute dog named Rudy! The main purpose of the event (organized by Saziso and Clayton) was to link me and Clayton's wife up, supposedly so that Estelle and I could become friends, but really to give the two guys permission to stay out very late! Indeed, Estelle is a very lovely woman and she has a really sweet family (daughter, two nephews and a sister that I got to meet), so becoming friends with her is a no-brainer! It hasn't even been 24 hours, and we're already sending emails and sms's (text messages)to each other!

So writing things down (for me) does help after all!

1 comment:

Rethabile said...

You'll like Lesotho.