Friday, July 21, 2006

A different kind of packing list....

Wow,

I can't believe that I only have three more days until I head off to the Peace Corps-South Africa staging event. A few months back...oh, let's just say March...I was wondering if I would even have the opportunity to serve. Now, I sit in my wreckage of a room contemplating exactly which sweater to bring and which shoes to leave behind. I keep packing and repacking my bag, hoping that the next time, my suit case zipper will actually close. In some strange way, I feel as though I'm trying to pack my life up in my bags (2 bags hopefully equaling approximately 80 lbs by the time I'm done) so that I'll have everything I think I'll need for a two year stint in an undisclosed location, hoping that I don't leave anything important behind. Inevitably, however, some things will come with me and some things will stay. Maybe I'll forget about that really cute skirt that I wore to that fabulous party in Bucktown, and be so excited when we're finally reunited once I return home. I wonder if that blue blouse with the black dots will even be in style in 2008 (oh, but trust, quality never goes out of style). On the other hand, maybe I'll pine away for those b.a. (mom that's for you) maroon pumps with the zebra tipped toes (no animal lovers...no zebras were harmed in this commercial), and in my first care package from home, they will so kindly be included. Either way, my packing must continue and I'll keep trying until I make it right...hopefully, I'll be reunited with my pumps and all of the other things I left behind soon (granted that no moths eat them, no one else decides to wear them, and I can still find them after being in storage for so long)...12 months is it?

Back to packing........

No comments: