Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mixed Message.....


Ok, I've got several tidbits of information to share, thus the "mixed" message:
  1. Happy belated birthday Thabi (aka Charlene)! I just want to give a big shout out to Thabi on turning the big 2-5! A few of her random, LifeLine, and Jesus Dancing (even though she's Jewish) friends got together this past weekend to celebrate this special day! Thabi was treated to a trip to Spur for food and fun! Per the tradition of Spur, the birthday girl (or boy) has to wear a Spur crown while standing on their seat, and the wait staff embarasses them by singing a crazy happy birthday song. Happy birthday was sung in Afrikaans, English, Tswana, and Spur! Happy birthday again!


2. This is an appeal to the South African postal service. My mother sent me a package with
many of my requested goodies inside around the beginning of December 2006. Packages
generally take two to three weeks to reach my South African city. Well, it's now 2007 and I
feel like either Tom Hanks or Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seatle, desperately hoping to be
united with the one I love (aka my package sent from home). I can't focus at work. I've
shyed away from friends and strangers. I can't sleep. I've lost my appetite. All of this is
due to the fact that my packages is somewhere in the world, lost.........forever? If you know
the whereabouts of my package....please connect it with its rightful owner!

3. On Friday, I was walking down the main street in my city, minding my own business,
when all of a sudden, some nasty old man decided that it was ok for him to pinch my arm
and wink at me. Yuck! Yesterday, again, I was walking down the same busy street, when
a strange man thought that it was cool for him to grab my hand and lick his lips. Double,
tripple, quadruple Yuck! If you haven't figured it out yet, it is NEVER ok to touch a
stranger (particularly me) unless said stranger (me) expressly gives you permission to do
so.

4. It's really hot in my city! I've never sweat so much! Ok, that's a lie. I've never sweat so
much when I'm not participating in an activity that really calls for sweat, ie. horse
back riding, softball or other sports-related activity, cutting the grass, etc. I've never
really appreciated a cold bath, or a lunch break bath as I do now!

5. "In town", there is an electronics store that doubles (or triples) as a beauty shop and
snack shop. I want to take a picture, just so that when I tell this story again, I'll have
hardcore evidence. I think my friend has a connection with the lady who works there.
Maybe she'll let me take a picture, and if not, I'll be forced to do it undercover.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there –
I just wanted to let you know I included your blog in my top 10 Peace Corps blogs (http://www.tefllogue.com/training/top-10-peace-corps-blogs-and-other-resources.html). I’m trying to make my site a well-rounded resource for people teaching English in different contexts, and your feedback and/or comments (on individual posts) would be welcome.

I hope your package arrives! This happened to me once in Bosnia and it was because, well, my mom hadn't written any street address and someone from the post office called my school. Good luck!
Katie