Tuesday, April 24, 2007

So is this what a proud mom feels like?

As you may recall, a few months ago (how time flies), I conducted a 5-day "Advanced" HIV training course for a varied audience (in terms of home organization; ethnicity; language; etc.). In preparing for the program, I:
  • Took a mini- needs assessment of some of the VCT (HIV Voluntary Counselling and Testing) counselors in my organization. I was surprised to find out that many people, regardless of the fact that they were VCT counselors, did not have a strong grasp on HIV and related issues. I guess that's why I put the "advanced" part in quotations. It really was basic information.
  • Took into consideration what my boss wanted participants to know: ARVs; Opportunistic Infections; STIs (STDs for the old school); reproductive health issues; HIV and AIDS statistics; and discrimination and stigma issues.
  • Took into account my learning style and how my experiences as a student have either helped me to understand (or not) the information presented to me. Doing a little research on best practices for adult learning didn't hurt either.
  • Considered the type of training South Africans typically deal with...particularly the type of learning style used and encouraged at my organization...lecture/memorization...I wanted to make the program as interactive as possible...without eliciting the response, "not another group activity!"
Well, if you have been following along with my blog, you would know that the course turned out to be a great success. Many of the fears that I had about facilitating the course ( language barriers, cultural differences, how do you keep people engaged on one topic for five days from 8 am to 4 pm, will people participate, etc.) were elevated. I was surprised to find that people actively participated in each exercise like I've never seen many of them do before. I say this because, in many of the trainings I've observed at my organization, participants can be seen holding unrelated side conversations, falling asleep, and in general...just looking bored. People asked questions and truly seemed to take control of their own learning, which is something I hope to encourage amongst volunteers and staff members alike.

Ok, I totally gave you way more background information than I thought I would. So, anyway, my organization is currently hosting a 13-week counseling course. Unfortunately, I've been unable to participate very much in the course because I'm working on several other projects (not to mention...but I will...the trip with my mother). At first, I was feeling kind of bad for the counselors-in-training, because the same out of date teaching methods were going to be used. I guess I'm not a big fan of it, because that's not how I learn best (always thinking of myself...shame!), and that clearly, counselors are lacking a real understanding of HIV and AIDS. (They know what the words are and can spit them out with the best of them, but they don't truly understand the subject and rarely have the opportunity to engage it.) Well (I use "well" a lot, I've noticed), last week I was finally able to sit in a few classes, and boy was I in for a surprise. Some of the facilitators of the course (who also attended my training) were actually using more interactive teaching methods...many of which I used in the program I facilitated. The whole time I was sitting there, I just smiled at how something I did really made an impression on people enough for them to re-think their training methods. Of course I cannot take much credit for the techniques that I used (I had to get them from somewhere), but it felt good to pass the information along...or to help in the capacity building process...that's a Peace Corps term. I guess this is the first time since I've been here that I really feel like I'm accomplishing something.

As a treat to myself, I'm going to bask in the glow of small accomplishments...but not for too long, because so much more work needs to be done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Many people need your course, especially those people who have already get HIV, including my blog audience.