Wednesday, June 11, 2008

And the Winner is...FSP Rustenburg


FSP-Family Strengthening Programme- is a component of SOS Children's Villages that attempts to assist families taking care of orphans and/or vulnerable children with training, food parcels, referrals to social services, fuel, prepaid electricity, etc, rather than taking children out of their biological families. A couple of months ago, I was asked by the FSP team (Hophney, Mpho, and Emmanuel) to help them come up with a poster presentation of their activities. The poster would be taken to an all-FSP meeting in Pietermaritzburg and entered into a competition. Immediately, I started dreaming up what the poster would look like. I had Hophney take me around to just about every office supply store in Rustenburg looking for poster presentation board (you know the ones students use for their science fair projects...the three sided cardboard thingy?) with no avail. I guess those things haven't hit South African shores just yet. Well anyway, the team worked very hard on coming up with and arranging their ideas in just the right way...resulting in me staying at work until 7:30 pm on a Friday! I told Hophney and Emmanuel that if the prize for first place was an all-expense paid trip to Mauritius, it was mine! Hard work paid off, because I received a phone call a week later saying that it was unanimously decided that FSP-Rustenburg was by far the best poster presentation of them all...no luck on that trip to Mauritius...a box of chocolates was as good as it gets! Congratulations FSP-Rustenburg!

No comments: