Friday, August 03, 2007

Post backlog blues!

One of my mother's friends, Michelle, is one of my primary blog followers. When I don't post enough (or my recent overindulgence of posting too much about Twobob), I get a complaint from Michelle via my mother. So Michelle, I just wanted to apologize about not posting enough and for not posting enough interesting stuff. I guess that I've grown so accustomed to the things going around me (cause this is my regular life after all), I forget that, what may be interesting to you seems humdrum to me. In order to make up for where I've slacked off, I'd like to tell you about a few of the highlights of my life that I haven't written about on my blog...they're not necessarily in order. Please sista girl, forgive me!


June 16th: Youth Day







On June 16, 1976, primarily Black South African students planned a peaceful protest to raise awareness of their issues with the Bantu education system, which was enacted under the apartheid regime. Similar to the poor quality of education provided by the government to African Americans in the US at that time (and arguably a similar poor quality of education that still exists today for these same cohorts...in both South Africa and America), Black South African students endured poorly trained teachers, over worked teachers, poor/out of date/not enough resources, etc. Again, similarly, the government tried to rationalize the idea that separate is indeed equal. WRONG. (Side Note: I recognize that it is not completely fair to compare the struggle of one group to another. We have each fought our own battles. I just can't help but to see my face in the mirror, so to speak.) Another blow to South African students was the forcing, by the government, to require that all students learn Afrikaans, the language spoken by the ruling party. Many of the teachers didn't understand Afrikaans, yet were expected to teach the subject to their students. Destined to fail. Doesn't it make sense to make it easy for you, if you are in charge, to make your subservients speak your language...so you can tell them how you want your kitchen floors cleaned?

Well, instead of being the peaceful protest that it was intended to be, the police fired guns, dogs were released, and tear gas was sprayed into the crowd of unarmed students. Many people were injured, several died. The face of the June 16th massacre is Hector Peterson, a 12 year old student who was apparently the first person killed.

Because the events are so thoroughly written about, I'll leave the rest of the story telling to the experts.

"How does this relate to you? This is completely random!" is what you're probably thinking, so I won't keep you waiting. On June 16th, in honor of the lives lost and the continuation of the struggle, it is customary (at least in Rustenburg) to wear your school uniform. My friend Saziso clued me in on the event after he started digging through his closet to find his old school outfit. His searching had a domino effect on the rest of his family, so everyone started looking for theirs too. Soon enough, his siblings and his mother were all dressed up. His younger brother Tapelo (16 years old) really got into it and put on his younger brother's school shorts...talk about cutters... Saziso's mom brushed her hair in the style of the day: the "fly-away". Interesting. Can't say that I'd wear it.

The whole event was so funny and so much fun to witness, particularly Tapelo and his short shorts which he wore the whole day. As I hoped on the taxi home, I sat looking out of the window as people in the location (new word for township) walked around in their school uniforms. Although watching an entire family dress up in too tight, too short school uniforms, the purpose of the day was not lost on me or any one else. Respecting the strength of those whose shoulders you stand on is the only way to move forward.

The Day I Saw A Man Get Hit By A Car!!!!!

When some people think about South Africa, visiting South Africa, or let their loved one join Peace Corps South Africa, after asking themselves: "So what country in South Africa will you be going to", they think of violence. Yes, South Africa can be dangerous, but living in Chicago can be crazy dangerous too! I've personally never been harmed (knock on a big piece of wood), but I do know of volunteers who have been mugged and such. For me, however, the time I feel most unsafe is every day...serving as a pedestrian in this great land. To me, walking across the street (or side walk or any other place a car can fit) is the most dangerous and unsafe aspect of my life here. Drivers speed, don't respect traffic signals (robots as they're called here), stop signs, cross walks, side walks, don't drink and drive campaigns, speed limits, hazardous driving conditions, they don't take care of their cars, over load cars, etc.) Some drivers take pleasure at speeding up when they see you crossing the street, just to see you run. I really could go on and on and on and on...and if you catch me on one of those days, trust me, I will!

I can't remember the exact date (which is the problem with not keeping up with the blog), but I was walking down the major street in Rustenburg (Nelson Mandela) returning from lunch, when all of a sudden, I hear a loud screeching noise. I was annoyed, which I generally am by cars here. All of a sudden, as though it were out of a movie, an SUV type vehicle came up near my right side and I saw a rather heavy set man flip over the hood of the car as though he was a rag doll. I could not believe my eyes! The man was lying on the ground in the most awkward position I'd ever seen a person in. What I expected: Someone to quickly pull out their cell phone and call 911; an ambulance rushing to the scene no more than 5 to 10 minutes later; people crying/screaming; people rushing to the man to help, yet not attempting to move him. What I actually saw: hundreds of people rushing over to the man...to stare at him and his injuries; a young man slipping the injured man's cell phone in his pocket; no ambulance in sight; people attempting to move the strangely situated man. I don't know what upset me more: 1) witnessing a man get hit by a car; or 2) the spectacle that was created by the situation. This is not the first time I've seen a violent situation (after the fact) while people go out of their way to stop and stare for the gore factor. When passing an accident, both pedestrians and drivers will stop what they're doing (including driving), just to go over and look at what happened. Even South African news papers will, on the front page, show a person with a knife sticking out of their head. Title reads: "She caught him sleeping with her sister." They don't spare the details. In the US, I often complained about the censorship that seems to blanket American media, but in times like these, I'm happy that I don't have to see it/know about it. Additionally, not to say that American roads are totally safe, but at least public health messaging seems to be taken to heart a little more than it is here.

Ok, ok, I know I've only written about two things...but I'm tired of typing, plus I have some work to get done. So as I think of things to day...I'll do another back post. Enjoy, while looking left, right, and left again (the opposite for me).

No comments: