Sunday, June 25, 2006

A continuation on the theme: "Life is fine, fine as wine"

Oh, Lil' Miss Missy (and friends),

I must say that I'm at a great station in life (the Sedgwick Brown Line to be exact): I'm headed into my last week on the job; I keep meeting/reconnecting with people in/headed to South Africa; I will have just about a month (from yesterday) until I start one of the greatest adventures of my life; I have an opportunity to spend time with some of the best people I know here and will have the opportunity to do the same with people I know in South Africa; and in general, life just can't get any better!

My Job

I digress. When I received my invitation to serve in Peace Corps South Africa, the remaining time before resigning from my job seemed daunting. There was so much work that still needed to be done and I tried my best not to focus on the end (June 30th), because I wouldn't be able to concentrate on completing it all! And now, the time is upon us!

When I handed in my resignation letter, my boss decided to pull me off of some of the weekly meetings I've been attending since I started working at NU. The move was rather abrupt, and I didn't think there would be an opportunity to say goodbye to the people I've grown to know over the past year. It's interesting to serve as an evaluator of a program. You're supposed to maintain your objectivity, but you can't help but to start believing in what people are trying to accomplish, and connect with people on a more personal level. Last week, my boss walked in my office and said that my co-worker attended the meeting I usually go to, and the reported that the program staff insisted I could not possibly leave without saying goodbye! How sweet! So my boss encouraged me to take off work early one day next week to say goodbye! I'll miss the guys and wish them all the best!

Well, tomorrow will be the beginning of the end of my time at Northwestern University. On Thursday, my co-workers are taking me out to lunch at a local Ethiopian spot! On Friday, I'll have my exit interview and then proceed to roll bounce! I've learned so much about myself as an employee (my strengths and weaknesses), how to evaluate a State-funded program, Chicago, gangs in Chicago, Chicago politics, community policing efforts, and much, much more! I feel blessed to have this amazing opportunity to learn and grow!

Meeting/Reconnecting with People

The Yahoo group I've been a member of for a few months, that is dedicated for invitees soon headed off to South Africa with me, keeps expanding! It's great to have the opportunity to meet a very diverse group of people who share a common goal: serve in the Peace Corps. There are several people in the education program, and many more in the NGO Capacity Builders group (that's the one I'm in). We've all shared some great ideas with each other, comforted each other by knowing that we are not alone, and that there are many people that share our same hopes and fears. We've shared packing lists, made up silly polls for the group to take, exchanged resources, and for the So. Cal volunteers-having a pre-staging meet-up...You guys are oh so cool!

A couple of years back, my mother took one of her students under her wing, and that student (Kristin) went off to serve in Peace Corps Botswana. Last Christmas, Kristin came to visit with me and my friends in South Africa. We had a ball. I remember one night, Kristin, Marissa and I were in the midst of playing a game of Monopoly (I was losing and they ganged up on me...how crazy is that!), and had a craving for McDonald's french fries and hot apple pies! (Oh, you remember those fried apple pies that Micky D's used to serve...nice and crunchy! I was so disappointed that they changed to baked apple pies...just not the same!) We all hopped in the car (pajamas and all) and drove down to McDonald's, ordered Cokes, a few pies, ice cream, and fries (I'm still trying to bring my cholesterol down from that one). The guy at the window was a Bruin-ou...and we proceeded to hit on him until our order was up. Girls' night out, Sherwood style! Well, wasn't that a tangent! Back to the story, Kristin has just finished her Peace Corps service (and a couple of months traveling through South Africa), and will soon be headed back to the states. Soon after she returns, my lovely Kristin will be coming to Illi for a visit! I'm so excited and am so very proud of her and all that she's accomplished! Kristin M U, if you're reading this...You go girl!

The summer between my freshman and sophomore year at Spelman College, I participated in a program called Operation Crossroads Africa (this is also when I met my best friend Loopy Gurdlekisser), and went to Tanzania. In the Tanzania program, there were three groups. In one of the groups, I met a really cool guy! We kept up for a while, and I got a chance to visit him right before he headed off for his own stint in the Peace Corps...interestingly, he went to South Africa. Unfortunately, we lost track of each other, but with the help of a little post in one of my Yahoo groups, I found him...and he's still in SA! How great is that! So, hopefully, we'll be able to catch up when I'm there. I always did enjoy his insight, and look forward to hearing more!

An update on pre-staging plans

June 30th-July 2nd: The S.S. Jay-Pee and Ms. Pink Gloves will be in town!

July 3rd-5th: Headed to the Dirty-Dirty to visit my friends and family. On the 4th my uncle is having a cook out...and can't wait cause he makes the BEST desserts! Some time while I'm there, I'll be hooking up with Jessy-Wessy, Caroline, and hopefully Anna Banana. I'm gonna kick it with my brother and his friends (more like brothers), and see many more people!

July6th-10th (or later): I'll once again get to show Jay-Pee what happens when you put the Dirty-Dirty in Illi and give it a little 253/206 love! I'm also gonna kick it with the favorite homie Chris Cross Your Heart! Oh, so much fun!

July TBD: Kristin will come for a visit! KMU, I hope you're bringing lots and lots of pictures! Neci and Kye Hannah will be coming for a visit too! We love you with all of our hearts! I think the plan is to spend the day at the American Girl's store...we'll see about that one! Some of the wonderful ladies I've had the pleasure of meeting are gonna meet up for a good-bye dinner! How nice! My brother and Christina will be coming for a visit, but I'll see them in the ATL when I get there. I'll finally sell my sweet precious Candy. Packing, re-packing, and just a little more.

July 24th-26th: Philadelphia for staging.

July 26th: Headed to New York (where I'll meet up with Loopy for the last time in a while) and then to Pretoria, South Africa.

Wow...as usual, I get long winded, so I'll stop right there. I'll make sure to keep you updated on all of my adventures!

No comments: