Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Packing Conversation (Part II)

As you may or may not know, I am a member of several Yahoo groups dedicated to Peace Corps. One group is for anyone interested in Peace Corps (current/returned PCV, interested, nominated, invited, applicants, you name it!), Returned Volunteers from South Africa, and others who have been invited to serve in South Africa (about 15 of us that we know of)...in short: peacecorps 2; [sa-RPCV]; and [sa2006pcts].

The [sa2006pcts] have made contact with current and former South Africa Volunteers in the [sa-RPCV] group, asking about everything under the sun, including packing advise and tips. Yesterday, I was reviewing all of the packing tips, which got me into the packing mood...my parents keep telling me not to wait until the last minute. After creating a list based off of what I've garnered, my mother so graciously ushered me around to a couple of different stores (Costco/Target) in order to get what I needed. After last night, I feel closer to being ready to hop on the plane...as well as closer to being broke...which isn't a good feeling...sooooo, if you feel like donating to the cause, I won't complain!

Remember, this is my tentative list...it sounds nice in theory when stuff is outside of my bag...but in the bag is another story. Also, many of these things are small...so right now, I have two nearly empty bags when all of the stuff is inside...but like I said, we'll see! I'll keep updating it until I leave for Staging. Things written in bright red still need to be purchased.

Toiletries (This section is complete)

Palmer's Cocoa butter (2 bottles)
Tooth brush (3)
Tooth brush holder (1)
Tooth paste (2)
Dental floss (2)
Retainers (2)
Suave roll-on (2)
Women's once-a-day vitamins (1)
Q-tips and cotton balls (1 box each)
Pumice stone (1)
Razor, plus razor heads (4)
Neosporin (1)
Rubbing Alcohol (1)
Hand Sanitizer (1)
Sewing Kit w/ extra needles (1)
Safety Pins
Lent brush (1)
Mini tissue packs (8)
Cherry chap stick (6...to feed my addiction)
Body soap (4 bars)
Noxema face bars (3)
Soap container (2)
Sanitary napkins (an heir and a spare package)
Brush (1)
Ponytail holders (lots...to manage what months of missed hair cuts will not)
Bobby pins (lots...to strap down my thick hair)
Shampoo (need)
Conditioner (1)
Tide (small bottle)
Handy wipes (1 package)
Fingernail clippers
Make-up (limited...I don't wear it much here and don't think I'll pick up on the trend there)
Tweezers (not for the eye brows)
Small mirror
Loofah
Glasses (2 pair per Peace Corps' request)
Glasses cleaner (3...I loose them)
Glasses repair kit (need)
Sunglasses
3 month supply of perscriptions (per Peace Corps' request)

Packing/Camping Gear

Compass (to guide me to the nearest Nando's)
Osprey Arial 65 camping pack
Large suitcase
Book bag
Books (hopefully you generous people will buy a book for me off of my wish list)
Bag locks
Water proof backpack cover
Tent
Ziploc bags (gallon/sandwich size)
Nalgene water bottle (2- one wide mouth and one small mouth)
LED flash light
Sleeping bag
Full size bed sheets
Pillow
Laundry bag
Towel set
Scissors

Entertainment

iPod
Lonely Planet South Africa guide book
Lonely Planet Southern Africa guide book
Solio solar charger for phones and iPod
iPod speakers
Back up battery pack
Ear buds
Map of the world
Laptop
Back up battery
Rechargable Batteries
Cell phone (unlocked 900/1800 band)
Thumbnail drive
System back up disks
Digital camera
Camera batteries (2)
Memory cards (2)
Scrabble
Playing Cards (3-4 decks...Uno too...even though I don't remember how to play)

Pictures (My dad and I are going to look through the volumes of pictures we have and put them on disk...to be printed out soon)
Soccer ball (for host family children)
Atlanta and Chicago memorabilia (for host family)
Index Cards (for language training)
Pens/Pencils
Sharpie Markers
Note pads
Envelopes
Journal (to write everything I won't put on my blog)

Clothes (Yet to be determined...but I already own what I'm bringing)

Northface Fleece (Polkadot Pink)
Black Jacket (1)
Marmot Waterproof Jacket (1)
Gloves
Scarf
Hat
Long johns (2)
Sports socks (16)
Dress socks (black/brown)
Thermal socks (2...damn...I'm bringing a lot of socks!)
Workout pants (1)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're in for an awesome experience - I just got back from Peace Corps Paraguay and its literally the best thing I've ever done; doesn't always seem like that in the middle of it but it definitely is...a few packing tips (if you're interested) - forget the laptop, it'll just get stolen or broken, plus without internet access what's the point anyway? Also bring a deck (or 2 or 3) of cards and lots and lots of tampons - they were probably the #1 sought after item among PCVs in Paraguay, my friend even wrote a song about it...
Good luck and I'll look forward to reading about your adventure!

Dani said...

Thanks for the tips! I'd love to hear about your experience in Paraguay...Wow! I'd love to hear the tampon song too!!!

Anonymous said...

You've got to be kidding. Here's my grocery list...it too will be adventurous: 39 packs of chicken flavored ramen noodles (always on sale at safeway), 1 huge package of chicken breasts, sensitive razors so I can shave my undercarriage, lotion to apply to my ashy buttox (6 bottles), white strips because my joints are crazy yellow these days, and don't forget the family size bottle of hemroid cream-oh, that's for my dog not me.

Dani said...

LMAO Jay-Pee...your comment is WACK!!!! You're just a hater...you Love my blog!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a joy it is for me to see you get closer to your dream of joining the Peace Corps. Shopping for the supplies, reminds me of packing for your adventures at summer camp in Maryland and Alabama and your trips to Equador, Tanzania and South Africa. This time it is a bit different though, because you will not be coming home in eight weeks.
Danielle, wyou've been preparing for this journey for 16 years. and all is right with the world. You are surely in position to take advantage of all of God's blessing.

I am so proud!

Love, Mom

Laura said...

Hi, I'm also beginning Peace Corps South Africa on July 17. I came across your weblog, and just read this post about the listserv for future South Africa PCVs... can you tell me how to sign up for it? I am hoping to connect with some people who have recommendations re: what kind of luggage to bring (suitcase/backpack, etc.) I look forward to meeting you!

-Laura

Dani said...

Hey Laura-

It's great to meet another fellow SA PCT! By joining the group, you'll be in great company and find tons of support from other people going through the same process...and they're great people too! Go to www.yahoo.com...create a free account. Towards the middle of the page, you'll see a link that says "groups"...you'll be able to search for a group. Type in sa2006pcts...and our group should pop up. You'll have to join the group, but that's a very simple process. By joining the group, you'll be able to meet everyone, post/read comments, take polls we make up, post/look at pictures/profiles, etc. I can't wait to hear more about you...and can't wait to see you in Yahoo sa2006pcts!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm gonna join next week...Yay! Peace Corps Rocks Dude!

Dani said...

Jay-Pee,
Once again, your comment shows that you suck big time buddy...now stop asking me if I'm gonna pack you in my bags!