Friday, May 19, 2006

One of many moments of clarity...

Yesterday, I just happened to wake up at the un-godly hour of 5:00 am. The television was on the Oxygen channel, because I fell asleep watching an episode of Living Single, that comes on between 11:00 pm and 12:00 am. I woke up to several strangers wearing earth-tone colored clothes, while the creepy instructor walked around and pressed participants' already contorted bodies into positions that not even Barbie can do (my tortured African American-like Barbie doll's claim to fame was that she could hold her legs in a V-position without even breaking her toothy smile)! Well, anyway, back to the subject of my post. As I was in the act of visualizing that I was one of those earth-toned-clothes-wearing-people, I became lost in the strange, hypnotic, and somewhat distant-feeling yoga background music. For the first time, I felt somewhat like a stranger in anther time and place, maybe the way I'll occasionally feel while serving in the Peace Corps...a new and different language (hopefully), a new set of cultural rules, new people, etc. Ok, this feeling may be attributed to the fact that I was not yet fully awake...yet feeling unfamiliar and my images of Peace Corps collided that morning. I said to myself, "Oh my gosh, I'm going to the Peace Corps...in South Africa...in 61 days!!!" (But I've said that phrase about 3 quadrillion times since I received medical clearance...that's why the title of my post is "ONE OF MANY moments") I guess that the comforting aspect of that in-between feeling, is that I'm looking forward to the range of feelings that will undoubtedly present themselves during Peace Corps. I hope those feelings encourage positive growth over the next few days, months, and years!

Activity 1: Close your eyes (well, not if you're operating an electrical item or mechanical vehicle) and recall one of your "moments of clarity." What were the circumstances surrounding the moment? How did that it make you feel (my favorite question)? Explain.

Activity 2: Watch the Oxygen channel during the weekdays at 5:00 am, and tell me if I didn't hit the nail on the head, in terms of describing the yoga instructor, his behavior, and the clothes everyone is wearing.

Activity 3: Make sure to visit the links on my blog, particularly the one about buying a book (or DVD) for your favorite Peace Corps soon-to-be Trainee. Pass my blog link to your friends, family, co-workers, and next door neighbors. Make suggestions, if you please, on ways to improve my blog. At the bottom of each posting, feel free to make comments!

No comments: