Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Resign from my job...Check!

Little Miss Missy,

You knew it was coming...the day that I would really have to show my commitment to Peace Corps...accepting a vow of poverty (going from a salaried job to a volunteer's stipend) for the next twenty-seven months. Yes, today is the day that I turned in my letter of resignation, with my last day being June 30th. I think I rehearsed what I would say to my boss a million times. I even examined the situation and all of its possibilities in role play exercises: Me (as me), Me (as my boss), Dad (me), Mom (boss), Dad's friend (me), Loopy Gurdlekisser (boss), Medin (co-workers), Emma...girlfriend of Medin (boss), Me (as me again)...oh, ok...you get the picture.

As much as I role played, worried, dreamed about resigning, talked about resigning, drew pictures of resigning, I was still shaking in my boots (black mary-janes) when I went to do to deed. You see, I have an overwhelming sense of loyalty and sometimes guilt (which I plan on sharpening so I can turn it around and use it to get my future children to do the dishes...just playing, well, maybe not), which made it difficult to leave my job after I committed to it...but I've been told that it happens all of the time...and maybe next time, it won't be so dramatic (at least on my end). When speaking to my boss, I pointed out that I really enjoyed my job, liked the people I work with, learned a lot, etc....but I've got to fulfill this dream of mine...joining the Peace Corps! In the end, she was very supportive of me and wished me well. Now, I'll focus on tying up loose ends at work...and at home...six more weeks until I'm ZA bound!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this web page.